Flow cytometry - introductory course
Aim and format
The aim of this 3-day theoretical course is to give participants a working knowledge of flow cytometry covering the following aspects:
- Basic concepts of flow cytometry
- Instrumentation - basic principles of operation
- Techniques - cell handling, staining, designing of protocol
- Data acquisition and analysis
- Applications of flow cytometry
On completion of the course, the participants shall be able to:
- plan a flow cytometry experiment
- account for the principles behind spillover and relate this to the need to apply compensation
- explain how to combine fluorochromes and select appropriate control samples.
The course includes the following elements:
an introduction to the basic principles of flow cytometry
common applications of flow cytometry
fluorochromes, compensation, spillover, control samples
planning of flow cytometry experiments.
Different forms of teaching are used including theoretical lectures, practical demonstrations, theoretical group work and individual discussion forums. The results of these exercises are presented to, and discussed by, the course coordinator and course participants.
- Anna Fossum, FACS Core Facility at Lund Stem Cell Center
- Anna Hammarberg, MultiPark - Cellomics and Flow Cytometry Core Facility
- Charlotta Böiers, FACS Core Facility at Lund Stem Cell Center
- Zhi Ma, FACS Core Facility at Lund Stem Cell Center
- RSSCB and Multipark members: No course fee
- External users: 2000 SEK
This course is a co-arrangement between the Research School in Stem Cell Biology, the Lund University Neuroscience Graduate School, the StemTherapy FACS Core Facility at Lund Stem Cell Center, and the MultiPark Cellomics and Flow Cytometry Core Facility. Priority is given to PhD students, postdoctoral fellows and technical staff who are affiliated with these networks.
When and where?
March 23-25, 2020
Time and venue: TBD
Applications will open in February 2020.
Operational director StemTherapy FACS Core Facility
Charlotta [dot] Boiers [at] med [dot] lu [dot] se
Executive director Research School in Stem Cell Biology
Christine [dot] Karlsson [at] med [dot] lu [dot] se
Scientific director StemTherapy FACS Core Facility
Joan [dot] Yuan [at] med [dot] lu [dot] se